Friday 28 June 2013

Spoken Word: "Deanna"

"Deanna" 
November 25th, 2011



This was my second time performing in public. My mother died of an asthma attack in 2002 when I was just 12 years old. Since coming to Canada I've realized that I suffer from seasonal depression around the time of her death. In an attempt to overcome this depression I performed this piece, which talks about the night she died, on the actual day that she died.

I encourage everyone to treat the people they love with care. At anytime they can be gone. Do they know how much you really love them? Does your mother know you appreciate her? Has your best friend heard how proud you are of her? Does your girlfriend know just how much you care?

Stop treating people like they're here forever. Once I'm gone I won't be able to read what you write about me on your "RIP Zemi" page. Tell me while I'm here. Tell her while she's here. Tell him while he's here.

Love, today.

*If anyone wondered why I kept messing with the cord it's because I'm a klutz and was deathly afraid that I would trip and embarrass myself.*

1 comment:

  1. Man I remember this day!! Beautiful piece Zemi <3

    ReplyDelete