Wednesday 19 June 2013

The Bed Always Has Space For Me

Didn't Daddy keep you warm in the big wooden bed he made? Or does a mother always leave empty space for her to slide away from being a wife to cradle her child? Before the sun would fully rise my six year old eyes would open and I would tip-toe across the floor to awaken Zane and Shani. Silently tipping, heavily breathing. You heard my bare feet rest upon the red clay tiles and pulled me into your arms.  I would be upset I could not play as I lay in the prison of your arms. Then I'd trace your face with my tiny fingers. "Mummy has freckles." "Mummy has tiny holes on her face." "Mummy has red-brown skin." "Mummy is so pretty." "Mummy's hair is so soft." "Mummy is so warm." "Mummy is mine." I'd giggle as Daddy snored. "I'm stealing her Daddy - she's mine."


June  1st, 2012

1 comment:

  1. i see the red clay tiles... and i remember yall reading to Dee as she fought sleep! inspiring imagery ZR! love...

    ReplyDelete