Saturday 13 February 2016

Testimony: You Can't Burn What I Got!

Christy Simms, weeks before adorning her cap and gown as a 42 year old holder of a Masters degree in Psychology, was douched in sulfuric acid by her then boyfriend. The reason? She was showing signs of wanting to leave the relationship. With the knowledge that came through her studies, she began to see that she was wedged in the rims of the cycle of abuse. He was controlling, jealous and oh so afraid to lose this beautiful, educated woman who was beginning to see into who he really was. 

As a young woman who also was in an abusive relationship (although of another kind), I gravitated to Christy's story like a moth to a flame. Lately, I have seen the residual impact of my abuse show its face and have felt so helpless. How do I face these issues? What do I do with these triggers? What do I do with the part of me that responds with violence by instinct? 

It becomes so easy to ask, "Why?" God, why me? Why did you allow someone to burn 20% of my body? Lord, why did you allow a man to kick and punch me and slam my head into a mirror? Lord, why did you allow a man to spit in my face and throw my possessions out into the snow? Lord, why did you allow a man to wound me, past physical scars? Well, Christy has a counter-question to all of those whys--"Why not me?" Lord, how can you use my scars? Lord, how can you use my story?

For Christy, her scars and her story are a powerful testimony that enable her to share the glory of God and the existence of His personal assistant, the Comforter sent to man--the Holy Spirit. I have used my story--through performances of "It's Okay"--to encourage young women that even beautiful, strong, intelligent women can get caught up with the very wrong one. No one is above abuse. And no one is any less qualified to live a life of strength after once (or twice or how ever many times) being a victim of abuse.
Christy before the attack which burned over 20% of her body.

Christy Simms' story is one of strength and beauty. This courageous mother of two did not raise up from the ashes so to speak, but she did raise up from a two month coma. She literally, in the course of  about 13 seconds, became a new thing, a new being...totally unrecognizable to herself and even her family. 

Through surgeries she is becoming "restored", but, according to Christy, God's intent through this experience was not to restore her but to renew her. "Renew" literally means to be made new again. The offer to be made new is not only extended to burn victims--it is extended to everyone. To me, who underwent verbal, emotional and physical abuse and to you who may have never experienced abuse at all. Please do not wait until you cannot recognize yourself to accept the newness that a life in Christ brings. Accept newness today.


Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!
2 Corinthians 5:17

I encourage you to watch these series of interviews that Priscilla Shire had with Christy Simms. I pray you see a different portrayal of domestic abuse victims and the cycle of abuse than you have ever seen before. I pray you see the beauty that I, and all of the ladies in that audience, were able to see within seconds of encountering Ms. Simms.

Part I

Part II


My dear ladies, may we be even more encouraged by what we see, learn, hear and experience to wait in inner beauty for outer beauty fades, outer beauty is stolen, outer beauty can be marred, scared and torched but inner beauty--the beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, poise, reverence and joy--can never be stolen. 

In the words of Christy Simms, "You can't burn what I got!" I almost said aloud to my computer screen, "No honey, you can't!"


Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Psalm 31:30

No comments:

Post a Comment