Monday 7 November 2016

30 Days of Waiting: Day 7

Are You Rejecting God?

I don't know about about other countries, but the Bahamas has recently observed a surge in marriages. Every time I scroll down my timelines I either see an engagement announcement or wedding pictures. Within my own circle, many of my closest friends are either married, engaged or in long-term relationships. In such an environment, it becomes almost natural to think that your singleness equates to a lack of access to an exclusive, members only club: marriage. I long to pool finances with my spouse, go on trips with my spouse, raise children with my spouse and be led by my spouse. However, premature appointment of an earthly king could mean I am rejecting God as judge and ruler of my life. How so? Let's take a look at 1 Samuel 8. 

Here, the Israelites are displeased with the newly appointed judges set to abide over them in Samuel's old age and request an earthy king. Samuel's spirit is immediately unsettled with this request and so he brings the request to God. God likewise is displeased with the request and deems it unwise, but he instructs Samuel to give the people what they desire only after making them fully aware of the consequences. What were these consequences? Well let's put it this way, they were no easy pill to swallow:
He said, "This is what the king who will reign over you will claim as his rights: He will take your sons and make them serve with his chariots and horses, and they will run in front of his chariots. Some he will assign to be commanders of thousands and commanders of fifties, and others to plow his ground and reap his harvest, and still others to make weapons of war and equipment for his chariots. He will take your daughters to be perfumers and cooks and bakers. He will take the best of your fields and vineyards and olive groves and give them to his attendants. He will take a tenth of your grain and of your vintage and give it to his officials and attendants. Your male and female servants and the best of your cattle and donkeys he will take for his own use. He will take a tenth of your flocks, and you yourselves will become his slaves. When that day comes, you will cry out for relief from the king you have chosen, but the Lord will not answer you in that day.”[1 Samuel 8:11-18]
And what did the people decide? They insisted on having a king. And why did they want a king so badly? So that they could be like other nations. Heard that? They didn't care about the consequences. They didn't care about the burdens they and their future generations would have to bear. No, they simply wanted a king so that they could be like other nations. They wanted an earthly king to judge them. They wanted an earthly king to go out before them and fight their battles. Little did they know, however, that in requesting such a king they were essentially requesting that a mere man replace God in their lives. 

Throughout the history of the Israelites, God had presided as judge over the people and had appointed men like Moses, Joshua, Eli and Samuel to do the same on his behalf. God had gone before them to fight their battles. God had led them through the wilderness as a cloud by day and fire by night (Exodus 13:21). But what did they want? They wanted a man, a flesh and bone, mortal and flawed man. And why did they want him? So that they could be like everyone else.

Those verses (1 Samuel 8:19-20) wrecked me because, in the Israelites, I saw myself. I saw myself wanting to replace God's current role in my life with a flesh and blood man. I saw myself wanting to replace the omnipotent, omnipresent God with a flesh and blood idol. I saw myself grieving God by running before him to prematurely appoint someone out of season, and for the wrong reasons. 

God saw that Samuel's sons weren't up to task. He saw that they were unlike Samuel. It should have been left to Him to decide what should be done and who should preside over Israel. Likewise, God knows my innermost being. He knows how I must be led and what gifts must be nurtured within me. It should then be left to Him to decide when I should be led and who I should be led by. 

Over and over, the word keeps pointing me back to Christ. The word keeps pointing me away from man and unto God. The word keeps pointing me to my rock, my source, my help...as it should.

Take heed ladies or risk spending more time in the "meantime" than necessary.


Love,
Zemi
Verses of the Day
"Since, then you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not only earthy things.
Colossians 3: 1-2

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4: 6-7

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."
Philippians 4:8


P.S. Remember to follow AvrielleB's reflections here.

No comments:

Post a Comment